“We are such stuff as dreams are made on, and our little life is rounded with a sleep.” — William Shakespeare
Was planning to drive up to Albany real early this morning to see the New York Giants in training camp. All packed, camera in the car, ready to go. But I overslept.
I was dreaming that the Giants beat the undefeated Patriots on a miracle play in the Super Bowl. Then I woke up and realized it was true.
So I started thinking about the strange occurrences we’ve seen in sports in the past year. One year ago, you would have been dreaming if you said:
- The Giants would be defending World Champions.
- That Manny Ramirez would be wearing Dodger blue.
- And Joe Torre would be his manager.
- That the Boston Celtics would win the NBA title.
- That the Tampa Bay Rays would be in first place.
- That Greg Norman, 53 years young, would be leading the British Open with nine holes to play.
- And that he would be cheered on by his new bride, Chris Evert.
- That Brett Favre would retire. Or unretire. Or retire….wait a minute, Brett, wake up and make up your mind.
- That Roger Clemens would make a fool of himself in front of the entire nation.
- While his former teammate, Mike Mussina, would be pitching like Cy Young.
- That Appalachian State would beat Michigan. In the Big House. Yeah right.
- That Marion Jones, the queen of the 2000 Olympics, would be in jail.
Did I just dream all that? Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.