Eight Changes for Major League BaseballPosted: June 25, 2008
Eight changes major league baseball should make immediately:
- Drop the rule giving the league that wins the All-Star game home-field advantage in the World Series. Give it to the team with the best record.
- Institute instant replay immediately — for home run calls only, nothing else. Run a video control center like the National Hockey League.
- Make the first-round playoff series best-of-seven. Give the teams that performed best in the regular season the best chance to win.
- Make the designated hitter universal — everyone but the National league already has a DH. Pitchers should pitch and hitters should hit.
- Use the team error in official scoring — why should catchable balls that fall between two or three fielders be called hits.
- Mandate that each team schedule one home doubleheader per season, either on a Sunday or holiday, or better yet on both.
- Schedule at least one World Series game as a day game each year, weekday or weekend will do.
- Make affordable tickets available on a walk-up basis day of game for fans who don’t have fat wallets and corporate connections.